Monday, April 9, 2007

Hey, look! He does update once in a while!

:-)

Wow...I gotta update more often, cuz I forget where I played and how the shows went :-)

The Lily Pad. Hmm.....it was a great show, I had fun, but Friday night at 6SLT is *not* the time to have a show. Unless of course, the 9 other people having live shows decide that, then it'll be the time for me to have a show :-) I had an average of 4 people there the whole hour, including the hostess...s'OK tho. I'd play to an empty sim if I had to.

Oh, almost forgot...I had a little "experience" Friday night after Frogg's show too. I'm not gonna get into specifics, but I got an IM asking if I had a second (I didn't) and I apparently didn't respond courteously enough, and lost a shot at a show. Oh well. Sorry (name withheld to protect the extra courteous), but if you're gonna react to an innocent question from me the way you did....I don't think I want to play for you anyways. But I would like to take this opportunity to publicly apologize to that person, cuz after I started getting lectured about how to speak courteously...well.....I wasn't very courteous. :-) OK...I think I've seen the word "courteous" enough these past few days to last me a loooong time.

Gimme Shelter Saturday morning went a lot better. I had a much better crowd, and as much as I say I'll play for an empty sim and still have fun (see above :-D), I'll take a full sim over an empty one anyday. It's a lot easier to play off of a crowd that actually exists :-)

Ahhh...Crazy Sharks....fantastic people, great audience (especially the evil Easter Bunny that tried (and almost succeeded) to stare me down (thank god I don't play while in Mouselook)), great time :-) I've been hopping on the "Keep Live Music Free" Soapbox at my shows a lot this past week, and it was great to see all the tips that went to the venue, and hearing from many of the venue owners that they have no intention of charging admission (those that weren't at the meeting, anyways)

Tonight I was back at my regular slot at Sterling Vineyards. My voice was a little rusty, since I'm running on a bout 3 hours' sleep from last night , and I prolly shouldn't have attempted the high notes in Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" (it's still in the early stages for me), since I watched the sim numbers drop from the mid 30's to under 20, but, other than that...I did great. Cryene runs a beautiful sim, it's a great setting, and she has as much fun at my shows as I do :-)

And speaking of that certain soapbox (as I was a minute ago):

At some point over the weekend, I received a copy of the chat log from the venue owners meeting last week from someone I promised to leave nameless (thanks again!). First off, I gotta admit I was wrong about the admission charge (150-200L instead of 1000), so I guess that's a little bit of a load off my mind, but it was interesting to watch the idea go from only charging for special events such as metajams (which I would happily pay to see...last year's was fantastic) to charging at each and every show.

Also interesting to me was the control factor that I mentioned in the last post. If I want to play for these venues that charge, I'm forbidden to play for venues that don't charge. I guess it makes sense, I mean...why would I pay to see someone play when I could see them for free in an hour, or a day? But I'd rather make the decision on where to play than leave that decision in the hands of someone else. I'm not going to name any names or venues, but I will say that those names and venues are readily available at a certain online SL magazine that starts with the letters TheAvast** (how's that for subtle?).

Anyways, this meeting was invite only, and only some of the venue owners in SL were invited. A lot of venue owners didn't know about it, as well as a large chunk of musicians. That problem was solved at Harmony yesterday afternoon, when Mel Cheeky hosted an open-to-all informative meeting on the subject. There were a few people there that didn't understand the "informative" part of "informative meeting" and thought we were all there to get the torches lit and storm a certain sim and lynch some club owners. That was never the point. The point was to let performers (and other venue owners that apparently weren't "kewl" enough to be invited) what's going on.

The meeting was dominated by a few people (as was the venue owners' meeting last week), and fairly hard to follow (just like a RL meeting!), but in the end...I think we (well, they) accomplished what was wanted: Get the news out in the open, let everyone interested know what's coming, and give people enough warning so we're not all blindsided in a few weeks, if the plan does in fact come to fruition.

OK, off the soapbox again (for now), and back to me :-)

Concerts, concerts, get your concert dates here!

Tuesday night, I'm back at The Lily Pad at 6SLT, Wednesday I'm playing a Relay For Life Benefit at 3 SLT at Gunbunnies II, and Thursday I'm back at Oyster Bay Sculpture Garden and Aquarium at 7 SLT.

Also, Wednesday and Saturday at 7SLT I'm filling in as host for Primtionary. Heckles are welcome there as well, but keep in mind that I'll be paying you, as well as accepting tips, so the heckles might go both ways...

But, heckles are only one way here, so....get started!

:-)

No comments: